Funny how the people and places we spend the most time around—because we really like them—can also become the people and places we take for granted. The ones we don’t nurture as much as we should, because they’re “okay” and we need to work on other things.
This includes taking ourselves … and our homes … for granted. Letting things slide because only we notice. Maybe let the dishes sit a little longer than they should or canceling a salon appointment because we’re too busy.
It doesn’t have to be that way.
So, in the spirit of the Valentine’s Day season, I thought it would be nice to focus on the ways you can give your home some love. Y’all. This is a big list. There’s no way you can do them all. But just look at all your options! Pick 3-4 and give yourself and your home a lovely Valentine’s Day.
This post contains affiliate links, meaning I might make a small commission (at no extra cost to you) if you click on a link and make a purchase.
You can read our full disclosure here.
- Light a candle. (I especially like these soy essential oils ones that are less toxic to the air in my home and don’t set off my allergies.)
- Add a throw pillow.
- Or throw blanket. (Saranoni blankets are my absolute favorite. Being wrapped in one is like being wrapped in a warm, fluffy hug.)
- Schedule a deep house cleaning from a local service provider
- Invest in new wall decor
- Add a table centerpiece
- Buy fresh flowers
- Get a live (or faux!) plant
- Switch out seasonal décor
- Or just mix it up! Change the room a favorite décor piece is displayed
- Make a welcome sign for your entrance
- Practice gratitude for your home
- Turn off all social media for a day
- Listen to music while doing nothing else. Just soak it in.
- Buy a new design magazine
- Indulge in some cute cleaning products. They don’t have to be ugly! (This is one reason why I love Grove Collaborative. Even their SPONGES are cute!)
- Get a diffuser and some delicious smelling essential oils to diffuse. (Guys, I’m not “oily” as they say, but I do have a lot of synthetic fragrance sensitivities. Essential oils smell good without the—literal—headache of room fresheners).
- Use the fancy dishes … just because. Why not?
- Try some removable wallpaper. Go to town on an accent wall, dresser, or the inside of a bookcase or cupboard.
- Double your normal recipe and invite friends over for a simple, no-frills Valentine’s dinner.
- Write a note about the things you love about your house and hide it somewhere for the next occupants to find one day. (John and Sherry of Young House Love did this!)
- Watch a new home improvement show.
- Buy a painting (not a print!) from an up-and-coming artist
- Make heart-shaped cookies
- Simmer water and herbs and berries or fruit to fill the house with natural fragrance
- Paint an old piece of furniture and give it new life
- Make lavender sachets for your linens
- Make a heart-shaped paper doily banner
- Make your own natural cleaners
- Put fresh, cute shelf paper in your cabinets
- Buy some house slippers … keep your feet warm this winter and your floors clean!
- Invest in some wool dryer balls
- Or a quirky, cute mug for your coffee bar
- Take a picture of your home and have it turned into art
- Display kids’ artwork in frames
- Make your own art! (It doesn’t have to be fancy. Get a canvas and a few acrylic paint colors that work well together and make some color blocks, or just go to town and do something more free-spirited.)
- Update a boring, functional gadget in your kitchen with something with a more elegant design.
- Try a new recipe you keep putting off trying.
- Change out the wreath on your front door with something seasonal.
Too often we spend so much of our lives waiting for things to get better, for circumstances to be different, for more experience before we venture to try new things. Or we put off good things to focus on necessary things. Sometimes, this is simply good #adulting. Other times, it’s an excuse to stay busy and we don’t let ourselves rest. Renew.
Don’t forget that the simple things in life are often the best.
So if nothing on this epic list sparks your interest, come up with something that does and let me know in the comments! Or click over to my Valentine’s themed board or my Home DIY board on Pinterest for even MORE ideas!
And remember: you’re worth it.
Want even more inspiration? Like our Facebook page for daily inspiration and join the Clutter Fighters private decluttering Facebook group where we cheer each other on in our journey to conquer the chaos!